Friday, August 22, 2008

Here's to the women!

I went to our ward's enrichment night activity last night. (for those of you that aren't LDS, that is the Women's organization night out once a quarter to do "stuff").
Before I went I had learned that the topic was "back to basics" - like cooking basics and stuff. to tell you the truth, I was not thrilled about learning ANYTHING. really, I have a bad attitude when it comes to feeling like I HAVE to do something like learn how to cook bread from scratch. I used to do it when I was in 4-H as a kid, so I figure that if I absolutely HAVE to, I can figure it out okay on my own. Yeah, I am not the world's best cook or housewife and I know it.
SO I went thinking, at least I will be able to get to know some of the ladies in the ward and connect with other women - which is more of what I am about.

I was actually impressed with how much fun I had LEARNING?!?!?! who knew? Amber Overson did such a great job and Mari Tracey was such a cutie teaching us how to make corn tortillas. It was actually fascinating!

BUT, what impressed me most about the evening was the kind of women we have in our ward. I am one that really likes to watch people. it is my favorite hobby. I watch and analyze all the time.
I have such a FUN ward!!!! I mean really, I was cracking up all night! and that is what I am all about. I sometimes struggle with the fact that I have moved away from my "old" friends from high school and the single's ward. Those are the friends that were with me through those years that shaped who I am and cried with me through some of my toughest times and laughed as we watched the sunrise over the beach. I miss them almost to the point of tears at times. I have not been able to ever replace them in my life. SO, as I go forward with where I am today and seek friendships I often wonder if I will ever have friends like that again? Will I be able to let go, laugh til I hurt, stay out all night (well not as often since the kids have come), and just be me without worrying if I am too much of a dork?
last night was so much fun. who knew we could laugh so much while rolling tortillas and getting bread making lessons.
the room was full of these amazing people that I look forward to being around and possibly becoming better friends with. Okay - some of you on this blog thing were there and you are getting to be some of my "best" friends and I so appreciate you. (Brandi, Kendra).
I was just impressed with the quality of people we have in our ward. I once had a friend of mine say that Utah was just full of women that were only about big hair and trying to appear perfect. I had only been here (in Utah) for a few months and was having a REALLY hard time finding friends. I knew there was more to the people of this area. I knew it just took me getting out there to know them. It took ME seeing past hair and make-up and perfect scrapbook pages and canning stuff (which you all have to teach me still). To see that these women are the same silly, funny, crazy people that I want to surround myself with. I look forward to more mundane cooking lessons as long as people like this are there. I think I could enjoy almost anything with the women in my ward. If I could laugh like that learning to make bread, I could really get into anything these guys have to teach me. Maybe I'll even learn how to do mine and my daughter's hair one day? hmmm.... maybe not.
anyway, I think so highly of them and hope for deeper friendships with all of them. Thanks ladies - for being you and making me laugh.

5 comments:

Karalee said...

Ok, there is a bread theme for today, I guess. We all miss you here, too, so you should come to my scrap-retreat I am hosting next week. I still have a spot open! (We are scrapping thursday through monday. Should be a blast! I am sure there will be a ton of laughs, too.)

keri said...

It sounds like I missed a great enrichment. I am glad it was fun

Kendra said...

Love you, Michelle. Thanks for sayin I'm your friend :} I'm honored. I really loved enrichment, too. I still need to practice with the tortilla thing. You are a good housewife and mother BTW. Everyone choses to focus on the things that are the most important to their family. Recognize that others may envy your talents and there is NO problem with your or your beautiful daughter's hair. You are both goahgeous, dahling!

Shane and Brandi said...

It was fun, and I don't have big hair do I?

theleguis said...

I think thats asking too much to learn to do hair. its not a skill our family is so good at but esp not you! j/k i can say that b/c I am the little sister that got jipped not having an older sister to do my hair. :) love you sis.