Monday, December 29, 2008

Home School update...

we went through 2 weeks of Homeschool. I have to admit, although I was slightly intimidated by the idea, I really, surprisingly, enjoyed it! wow!
I did give my kids the chance to decide for themselves if they would rather be homeschooled or go to school (I knew what Gabe would choose). I was hoping they would both choose homeschool since I really got used to them being such awesome help around the house and with the baby.
Gabe was obvious. He could hardly wait for an excuse not to have to endure another day in the corner at public school. He has been begging to be homeschooled for a couple of years actually, so yes, he chose to be home.

Evan, on the other hand, was frustrated with me that I could not keep up with him. he was often waiting for me to figure out how to do all that 5th grade math stuff that I had forgotten and needed to "google" before I could explain in to him. He told me he learns better with a "real teacher". Oh how I tried to talk him into staying home and explained that we could get a "real teacher" he could talk to and still be home. He said "no thanks, I need a real recess and soccer and my friends too mom."
bummer He was such a good babysitter for those days I needed to go take care of things and leave the baby at home. I will miss my 11 year old free child care. He's a cool kid though and I am glad he was clear-headed about his decision and I will respect it as long as he continues to do well in school and our home life is not too upside down. know what I mean?
If Bill takes the job where he may be gone a week at a time, I may need Evan's help again. and He may have no choice but to be homeschooled. Time will tell.

For now, Evan goes back, Gabe stays home. I think it might work. maybe I can "school" some responsibility into my 9 year old hyper kid. we'll see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I may be calling you soon for some homeschool pointers! I'm glad to hear you are getting into the groove of it and actually like it now - maybe I'll even get there someday! :)

Karalee said...

I can relate. I homeschool Jordan, Kelsey stayed in public school, and Jayden was young enough to be home still. It worked for us and was what was best for Jordan. It would not have been good for Kelsey. So, we didn't quite fit in with other homeschool families and the public school families couldn't quite understand my decistion to homeschool, either. Oh well...all in all it was a good experience!

Photo Crazy! said...

You are great at whatever you do Michelle. You will do wonders!

Jeannetta said...

I'm new to your blog, and I want to wish you the best in your homeschool journey! We are in our eithgh year, and I'm loving it. It's not going how I "expected" it to go, but regardless of that, I'm so happy they are home, and away from the smut and garbage the world has to offer them :)