Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's funny...

It's been a while since I've "blogged"...
that phrase is funny to me. you see, that's how almost every journal entry in every journal I have ever had starts.
..."it's been a while since I've written..." As if I owe someone an apology for my laziness. when in fact it is not laziness but busy - ness that keeps me from blogging.

Yes, I have been home-schooling. I kind of feel guilty that I am not liking it as much as other moms seem to like it. It is a real sacrifice to make sure I make that time to prepare and sit and teach and help. I get very frustrated with my son.
but here is what I do love - he is doing better than he had a chance to do in school.
Gabe is a difficult kid sometimes. He flat out refuses to do work of any kind unless it is making movies on the computer.
so me... the big genius that I am... decides he gets to have his own blog spot to journal and write in. But what is his Blog now? A huge mess of games and movie downloads. No writing anywhere. hurumph. okay, how to get a kid to write. that is the next problem. He draws comic books and writes a few words or phrases here and there to embellish the story he tells with pictures. He is a great story teller with pictures. I love that he can change facial expressions and body language in a stick figure. amazing to a non-artist like me.
I had the reverse problem in school. Teachers were always saying "Michelle, I asked for a one page essay comparing these 2 poems, I didn't need 13 pages tying in other poetry books and comparisons Please do it over and make it something I can read in one night."
Yeah, I was THAT kid. So it's hard for me to figure out why MY child doesn't want to write? I don't expect perfection. one time I told him he could write anything he wanted to (this was after trying to get him to do a paragraph of what he just read) But he cried and cried and cried and refused and said his head was going to explode. So when the paper was finally finished it was something like this...
"... I hate my mom. my head hurts. Why does everyone hate me. I can't think of anything to write. If I have to miss my brother's party I'd rather die. ..." etc, etc...
So yeah. He finally wrote a whole page. this is something he has never done before for any teacher. since then he has written 2 other pages very similar, but he is STARTTING to write.

I believe learning to write to be so important. maybe it's because it's MY way of being vocal. But truly every great leader in history has been able to write their thoughts and feelings. Even great scientists and artists need to learn to write what they think and see and feel in order to gain the respect of their communities.

So yeah, I am a stickler on writing. Not penmanship, not spelling, not punctuation. Just on writing. Getting thoughts to words to computer or paper. If I can help him do that, I think he can feel more free to express all those things tied up inside him.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Good for you. I am proud of you for doing things even though they are hard. Good job for homeschooling your kids when its right for them. I think it would be very hard to do that and I know you make sacrifices. I look up to you. You are a fun person and a good mom!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I WAS loving the homeschooling thing. And then the twins started turning my life upside down because I couldn't pay attention to them when I was homeschooling M. And then M. started refusing to do work, as well. And then I had to clean the house REALLY good one day, which took up every single second of my day when I should have been focused on my kid's education. And then I came down with a cold and all I wanted to do was climb into bed. So I hear ya, girl. It is not easy. I think I was previously in the "Homeschooling Honeymoon Period." I wish we lived closer to each other because it sounds like at least two of our kids would get along GREAT! Come to think of it, maybe a little TOO great?! I have so much more I could say to you on this because I seriously feel your pain! M doesn't like to write either. And I have so many things I am struggling with right with homeschooling (like what my philosophy REALLY is, what I should and do expect from M, etc) and one is exactly what you are saying. Is it breaking her spirit to force her to do work that she just isn't ready for/prepared for/smart enough for (yet)/excited about? Or is it just a part of life? Ok, how's that for a blog within a blog? Sorry, didn't mean to blog-jack (haha just made that up. Like high-jack. Get it?). But that's my two-cents for the day. Carry on.

Shane and Brandi said...

I saw once. They had kids cut out pictures in magazines of what they loved. The teacher put them in a book and when they couldn't think of ideas to write about. They would pull out these idea books and look at them for ideas. Then he could write stories about pictures. Just a thought. Keep it up!